Thematic trip in Bulgaria: Journey in the footsteps of communism
Summary of contents of this page:
- Thematic trip in Bulgaria: Journey in the footsteps of communism
- Trip summary:
- Day 1: Sofia.
- Day 2: Sofia – Pravets – Pleven / aprox. 180 kilometres.
- Day 3: Pleven – Arbanassi – Veliko Tarnovo / aprox .. 140 kilometres.
- Day 4: Veliko Tarnovo – Buzludzha – Kazanlak / aprox. 100 kilometres.
- Day 5: Kazanlak – Sofia / 230 km aprox.
- Day 6: Sofia – Trinkets – Radomir – Sofia / aprox .. 120 kilometres.
- Day 7: Sofia.
- Chauffeured trip prices.
- Self-guided tour prices.
Duration: 7 days, dates to choose.
Bulgaria had a communist regime during 52 years, since 1947 until 1989, and for that reason it had the support of the USSR. Although it is currently a democracy and belongs to the European Union, from that communist stage there are many brands in the country: great monuments, factories, physiognomy of cities, and of course customs and culture. In this trip a tour of the country is made that allows a trip back in time, knowing that way of life in an instructive way and at the same time looking for the fun of an adventure trip.
Day 1: Sofia.
Pick up at Sofia Airport, welcomed by a Spanish speaking driver, Each tourist is given a communist era red tie. The transfer is made to a typical hotel of the communist era. Overnight in a hotel 4**** From Sofia.
Day 2: Sofia – Pravets – Pleven / aprox. 180 kilometres.
We started with Bulgarian breakfast - communist era style. Departure to Pravets, Todor Zhivkov's birthplace (the communist leader in Bulgaria in the period 1954-1989), you visit what was his house and is now a museum about his history. We will make a presentation on the History of Communism in Bulgaria. Then transfer to the city of Pleven, visit to “Epic of Pleven 1877” that it is a unique communist museum and building and that it is the most majestic monument to the military glory of Russia and to the Bulgarian-Russian friendship. It was established in memory of the 100 years anniversary of the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule in 1977 in which Russia collaborated. Overnight at a hotel in 3*** in Pleven of Soviet aesthetics.
Day 3: Pleven – Arbanassi – Veliko Tarnovo / aprox .. 140 kilometres.
Departure to Arbanassi which is a town notable for the impressive architecture of the houses and churches with rich interior decoration., the wood carvings and wall paintings created in XVI – XVII century . lunch (optional) in an ex-communist residence in Arbanassi built in 1975 by former President Todor Zhivkov; nowadays the residence is a hotel. Then in the city of Veliko Tarnovo which is contiguous to Arbanassi (4 km) panoramic view of the medieval fortress of Tsarevets and walk along the typical Samovodska street in traditional Bulgarian style. Overnight at the Interhotel Veliko Tarnovo 4**** built in the time of communism and typical Soviet aesthetics.
Day 4: Veliko Tarnovo – Buzludzha – Kazanlak / aprox. 100 kilometres.
We visit the Buzludzha building. Actually Buzludzha is a historical mount in the Central Balkan mountain. The final battle between the Bulgarian rebels and the Turks took place on the Buzludzha in 1868. Shortly after, in the year 1891, followers of socialist ideas secretly gathered in this area to create an organized socialist movement. In memory of this act the Buzludzha Monument was built, one of the symbols of socialism in Bulgaria, click here to read more from Buzludzha.
In the city of Kazanlak, visit to a store representing the local plant for the manufacture of the famous AK-47 rifle (Kalashnikov rifle), used by many armies in the world for years, even currently. Then visit the Museum of Roses, where you will learn about the production of Bulgarian Rose oil, first world producer.
Accommodation in a hotel in 3*** around Kazanlak.
Day 5: Kazanlak – Sofia / 230 km aprox.
Transfer to Sofia, on the way we will make a stop to try the typical food and drink of the years 80 and 90: the boza, el airan, the banitza, etc…Arrival in Sofia around 13:00 h.
In Sofia you can visit the monuments of the communist era and other general tourist attractions such as the second-hand antiques market in the Alexander Nevski Cathedral, The National Assembly of Parliament, sculpture in Borisova garden, Soviet army monument, Bulgarian Army Theater, National Palace of Culture, the headquarters of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (E.G), military Museum, and more.
Visit to the Museum of Socialist Art (closed on mondays), where you can see a short movie of the past, see some statues of the leaders and some art from this communist period in Bulgaria. Visit to Bell Park, built in 1979 by the daughter of Todor Zhivkov (Secretary General of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Bulgaria since 1954 until 1989) in honor of all the children of the world. Then visit a neighborhood with typical Eastern aesthetics, with precast concrete blocks. At the time of communist society they used to be defined as buildings “without classes” with people who share the same living standards because all houses were the same in shape and size… Today a significant part of the Bulgarian population still lives in the old buildings from the communist era.
Overnight in a hotel 4**** From Sofia.
Day 6: Sofia – Trinkets – Radomir – Sofia / aprox .. 120 kilometres.
Pernik is the largest center for coal mining and heavy industry in Bulgaria. In 1899, Bulgaria's first electric power plant is installed in Pernik. Visit to the Mining Museum (closed on Sundays).
In the city of Radomir gray is the predominant color, surrounded by concrete apartment blocks, the visitor feels like going back to the socialist times on a trip back in time. Local stores are still poorly stocked, how was it during the time of communism. The city developed in the past due to the heavy industry plant based there. Return to Sofia – Farewell dinner at a communist-decorated restaurant (optional). Overnight in a hotel 4**** sofia stars.
Day 7: Sofia.
Breakfast at the hotel, free time and transfer to the airport depending on the flight departure time. Fired.
Chauffeured trip prices.
VAT included per person (with Spanish speaking driver throughout the trip, transfers, bed and breakfast) :
per person in double room
per person in triple room
|4 persons||892,00 €|
For more than 4 people or other types of room distribution, check price please.
• Reception at Sofia airport upon arrival. • Spanish speaking chauffeur service throughout the program. • Transfers according to itinerary in a vehicle with air conditioning and driver throughout the program. • 6 nights of bed and breakfast in hotels of 3*** and 4****. • Transfer to Sofia airport on the day of departure. • Administration fees.
What is not included:
• Plane tickets. • Travel assistance insurance, nor rescue. • Tips and personal expenses. • Fuel costs, nor parking. • Entrances to tourist places: museums, monasteries, iglesias, strengths, caves,… • Optional excursions • Tour guide functions by the driver, the driver just drives, does not accompany visits unless a supplement is paid for this service.
Self-guided tour prices.
VAT included per person (with rental car included in the price, bed and breakfast) :
For 2 Travellers: 562,00 € / person
(with passenger car segment C, type Opel Astra, Ford Focus, Peugeot 301, etc.)
For 4 Travellers: 496,00 € / person
(with passenger car segment C family body or with minivan segment C of 6 oh 7 plazas, type Opel Zafira, Dacia Loggy, etc)
For more than 4 travelers or individual travelers, check price please.
- The delivery and collection of the rental vehicle at Sofia airport by staff of the rental company (English speaking).
- Rental vehicle - At least type C segment (type Opel Astra, Ford Focus, Peugeot 301, etc…), unlimited mileage, Super C.D.W comprehensive insurance. : Collision Damage Waiver (Collision Damage Waiver), third party insurance, theft and fire insurance, does not cover damage to rims or tires, nor the theft or loss of keys, nor the theft of luggage or personal belongings, includes second driver free of charge, road traffic rates (Vignette) and 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Hotel accommodation (in double room, other options are possible, consult please)
- Regime: Bed and breakfast.
- Practical travel guide in electronic format with addresses of places of interest, travel tips and recommendations.
- Telephone assistance 7d / 24h for unforeseen events during the trip.
- If you want hotels of a higher category than those mentioned, they can be booked at a supplement, Consult.
What is not included:
- The single room supplement.
- Roundtrip plane tickets.
- Airport taxes.
- Cancellation insurance, repatriation, nor of the sanitary expenses.
- Fuel (the average price of fuel in Bulgaria was a 10% lower than in Spain ). The rental vehicle is delivered with a full tank and must be returned equally full at the end of the trip.
- Child seats and snow chains for the rental vehicle. They can be rented on request in advance, price to consult.
- To collect the rental vehicle, you must give a deposit of between 100 and 300 €, depending on the vehicle segment, which will be reimbursed upon return of the vehicle if it does not suffer any type of damage or serious lack of cleaning.
- Parking fees and payments, some are estimated 15 € in total.
- Visits to places of interest: museums, monasteries, iglesias, etc..(some are estimated 25 € / person).
- Refunds due to the fact that any of the stages or visits reflected in the itinerary could not be carried out.
- Any other concept not reflected as included in the previous section.
• Add full board: Meals and dinners.
• Superior category hotels: 4**** oh 5*****.