Information about Bulgaria.
On this occasion we wanted to share some very curious facts and information about Bulgaria and aspects of the country that you have surely never heard of. Definitely one more attraction for viajar a Bulgaria …
1) In Bulgaria when you mean “And” head you must say "No" and vice versa. Moving head up and down means Bulgaria “no” and move from side to side means “and”. Curious truth? As well as some Bulgarians when they are in the presence of foreign reverse the movement for not rolling the caller and often ends up getting the opposite. The origin of this custom is thought that it is in the centuries of Ottoman occupation of the country (s. XV al XIX) because when the Ottoman Bulgarians asked if they accepted the Muslim faith, Bulgarians nodding to appease the Ottoman soldiers but actually in his thinking were saying “no” and hence this habit of moving his head was forged unlike in the rest of the world…
2) The Lactobacillus bulgaricus is a species of bacteria that can supposedly only be developed naturally in climatic and environmental conditions in Bulgaria, and in fact it is responsible for the famous yogurt.
3) The Cyrillic alphabet is originally from Bulgaria, but now also they used by Russia and the former Soviet republics with some modifications.
4) Bulgaria was developed in one of the oldest civilizations in the world and the oldest in Europe, civilization Thrace. Found signs of writing that are the oldest in the world.
5) It is the first country in the European Union to use the Cyrillic alphabet.
6) He 35% of the country's surface is environmentally protected.
7) In Bulgaria there are more than 4500 caves, caves and caverns known throughout the country.
8) The oldest treasure of gold in the world was found in Bulgaria.
9) It is the oldest nation-state in all of Europe, Bulgaria maintains the name since 681.
10) European stature has changed a lot over the last 1000 years, during the Middle Ages the European nations were of average height 160 cm while that of the inhabitants of present Bulgaria was 175 cm. His explanation is based on the diet followed by the Bulgarians of that time, that was characterized by high intakes of meat. This consumer was possible techniques used livestock, they were superior to those used by other European peoples.
11) Bulgaria was one of the few European countries that actively defended and protected their Jewish citizens in World War II even though it was allied with Germany, He also offered forces to fight the war and just be a logistics center for German. In the synagogue in Sofia this event is remembered as gratitude of the Jewish people to the Bulgarians.
12) The nomenclature and surnames of the Bulgarians are really curious, for their name they use the name of the paternal grandfather and for the surname the name of the father differentiating with the suffix “-ov” for men and “-this” for women , this can lead to the generation depending, full name may be the same, for instance: Angel Angelov o Ivana Ivanova.
13) The world's first digital watch was developed by the Bulgarian scientist Petar Petrov and the first digital computer was devised by John Atanasov.
14) Bulgaria was in classical antiquity, the birthplace of the mythical Orpheus and Dionysus, Myth or Reality, his story was later absorbed by classical Greek culture… Bulgaria is also the birthplace of Spartacus.
If you are interested in visiting the country or want more information about Bulgaria, you can hire one of our guided or self-guided trips and we will help you with the travel program..